Down in the “Deep of the Heart of Texas” resides a Food Bank that serves 13 North Texas counties. It wasn’t our first trip there, but this morning we were went down and made our first donation to this great establishment. This year the North Texas Food Bank (NTFB) is celebrating their 30th anniversary. Founded in 1982 the NTFB is a top-ranked nonprofit relief organization which is definitely a leader in the FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER. Here are some great facts about the NTFB:
1. $1 =3 meals
2. 94 cents of every donated dollar goes toward fulfilling NTFB’s mission; 6 cents
goes toward fundraising.
3. NTFB provided access to 47 million meals, a 45% increase year-over-year.
4. NTFB provides access to nearly 130,000 nutritious meals a day, enough to fill the
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington nearly 3 times to capacity.
5. There is a need for nearly 300,000 nutritious meals a day to feed hungry people in North Texas, enough to fill the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington 6 times to capacity
6. NTFB has more than 340 Member Agencies.
7. 36% of the food NTFB distributes is a fruit or vegetable (canned, fresh)
8. NTFB provides access to food at more than 1,100 feeding locations in our service
9. NTFB is sourcing and distributing 1 million pounds of food each week. 80% of that
10. NTFB distributes up to 11,000 Food 4 Kids backpacks every week.
11. Last year, an estimated 38,000 volunteers gave gifts of time, hands and heart to NTFB. In!fact, more than 700 people volunteer at the North Texas Food Bank each week.
The NTFB is wanting everyone to “ReThink Hunger.” They realize that hunger is getting bigger, but that means their solutions are getting better. One example they use is to improve its operational efficiency and extend its reach, they are collaborating with two of their leading Member Agencies to establish an urban and rural hub-and-spoke system of food distribution, in downtown Dallas and Paris, TX.
From a nutrition stand point they are obtaining 50% more fresh produce and increasing retail store food donations by 100%, which is an important source of protein. NTFB is also adding a 25,000 sq. foot distribution center of cold storage to support the increase of fresh produce and frozen meat.
This organization is making a massive impact in the North Texas area and TangoTab is proud to join them in the Fight Against Hunger and their mission to ReThink Hunger.